Tax Advisory Services
We have considerable experience in offering practical and efficient solutions to complex tax matters. We provide tax, regulatory and start-up advisory services to our numerous Clients across all sectors of the economy. These services include advice in the areas of Tax structuring, Strategy and Planning, Tax Expert Testimony, Analysis and Other Tax Litigation Support Services etc. Our firm utilizes an in-house tax and management team who are well versed in corporate income tax, personal income tax, value added tax as well as in the area of tax recovery. Our team have an in-depth knowledge of both Nigerian and International laws with regards to taxation laws.
Debt Recovery Services
We specialize in debt collection/recovery and we have adopted a well proven successful method to recover debts owed our clients by individuals or businesses. Our approach in this regard involves engaging in meaningful discussions with such debtors with the aim of committing them to execute a repayment plan which will be favourable to our clients. However, where such debtors are unwilling or refuses to pay back the debt, we institute actions in court to recover the debts from them and obtain judgments against such individuals or corporate bodies.
After obtaining such judgments, we take steps to execute same and these steps include but is not limited to, garnishing the individual or corporate body’s accounts, attachment of their movable or immovable properties, applying for judgment summons against such an individual or director, where the debtor is a company. A genuine understanding of our clients’ needs, values and priorities empowers us to deliver efficient, personalized debt collection services at competitive rates.
Corporate and Secretarial Services
We provide the following services:
• The incorporation and conversion of companies, registration of business names and Incorporated Trustees under part C of the Companies and Allied Matters Act;
• Payment of annual returns at the Corporate Affairs Commission, filing of change of Directors, filing of increase or reduction of share capital, submissions to and communications with the Registrar of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC);
• The implementation of Corporate Bodies shareholders’ and members’ agreements;
• Planning and administrative services in respect of trusts and estates;
• The formation of trusts;
• We accept appointments as independent trustees on our clients’ trusts.
We assist clients with all the commercial aspects of their businesses. Commercial transactions are the heartbeat of the firm and the majority of our lawyers are primarily involved in assisting clients with a wide variety of commercial transactions. Our services are not limited to the drafting and settlement of a composite range of commercial contracts but also include advising on the tax and other implications of commercial transactions, conducting due diligence investigations and assisting with the implementation of commercial transactions.
Criminal Law is the name given to the branch of law that governs an individual’s relationship to the state. It encompasses the rights of a Defendant and the criminal process, including arrest, pleas, trials, evidence, motions, and post-trial applications. The main purpose of the criminal law is to set forth the punishment for criminal offences and in order to prove any crime, no matter how serious, the prosecutor must prove that the Defendant committed a criminal act with intent beyond a reasonable doubt.
In Nigeria, crimes are classified as simple offences which are punishable by imprisonment of less than six months, misdemeanours which are less serious offences that are normally punishable by imprisonment ranging from less than three years to more than six months and felonies which are more serious offences that warrant imprisonment of three years or more, and in some instances, depending on the gravity of the offence, sentence to death.
Our expertise in this area of legal practice extends to applications for bail; both formal application for bail in any of the various Courts in Nigeria as well as administrative bail either at the Police Station, at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) or at any of the other security agencies in the country. We equally assist our clients in defence and investigation of criminal charges.
We offer comprehensive, effective, progressive and innovative advice to a large and growing number of major clients in all aspects of employment law in Nigeria including:
• General Employment Law;
• Arbitration and Mediation;
• Disciplinary investigations and enquiries;
• Due Diligence Exercises and Corporate Transactions;
• Employment Contracts;
• Employment Discrimination;
• Employment Legislation;
• Employment Litigation at the National Industrial Court;
• Litigation: Alternative Dispute Resolutions;
• Policy development and drafting;
• Restructuring and retrenchment planning;
• Pension Law and Employee Benefits;
Our litigation and dispute resolution services are both broad and deep and forms the core of our services to our clients. We focus on disputes that either reach the Courts or are resolved by arbitration. We are involved in many commercial litigation and arbitration matters in Nigeria.
Geared for rapid response, our Litigation & Dispute Resolution team can be called upon at short notice to resolve large-scale and complex litigation matters. This includes urgent applications in trials and arbitration matters.
Our Conveyancing Department handles all aspects relating to property and property law in Nigeria. The services provided by the conveyancing department include:
• Advising on and drafting of commercial and residential leases;
• Conventional transfers of properties, as well as transfers as a result of or in terms of liquidations, auctions, court orders, foreclosures, divorces, donations and deceased and insolvent estates;
• Financial structuring of property transactions;
• Miscellaneous applications, consents and endorsements required in the conveyancing process;
• Negotiating and drafting agreements relating to the sale of properties, both residential and commercial;
• Project and commercial property development finance;
• Recovery of premises;
• Registration and cancellation of all types of bonds, including mortgage, surety and collateral bonds.
Human rights are those rights which are recognized legally as Fundamental Rights and these rights have been codified in the Nigerian 1999 Constitution (as amended) as well as the African charter on Human and People Right. These rights include the right to life, the right to the dignity of the human person, the right to personal liberty, the right to fair hearing, the right to acquire and own immovable properties anywhere in Nigeria, the right to freedom from discrimination etc.
We assist our clients in filing applications in the State High Courts and the Federal High Court for the purposes of the enforcement of their rights where there is any infringement or the threat of an infringement of any of their rights as guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In filing such applications, we also assist such clients to seek for damages and compensation as the case may be.